When I was a kid I stayed on this farm for a summer. The woman watching me put me on this giant horse that took off running the moment I got on, my first time ever.
That damn horse ran for miles.
Eventually I got thrown off and I was bruised, bloody and shaking scared. Moments after I could breath again, she forced me ( literally ) to get back on that horse and ride again. Dripping with blood and shaking so bad I could hardly hold on, I learned how to keep going.
I’ve kept going a while now… building things, first building and rebuilding myself and my own thinking, then building teams and now companies. I’ve blown it BAD. And, I’ve nailed it a few times too. It’s amazing, like a puzzle, figuring out what works and what doesn’t. That horse ride prepared me well– I’ve kept going long after many others jumped off.
Thru it all, I remain completely devoted to a core belief that happy, radiantly joyful and kind people will always win.
It’s at the basis of what we do everyday, it’s my intention with every interaction, every decision.
As I keep going, I’ve been gathering some of the things that really work for me, the things that I’ve found matter more than anything else:
- Be good team mates
- Be good Friends.
- Be good neighbors.
- Say how we feel, in front of each other.
- Laugh and smile with kindness.
- Acknowledge accomplishments, authentically.
- Don’t worry about what other people think of you.
- Whisper wisely, and understand its impact.
- Assume goodness as baseline.
- Be authentic in our delivery of information and be mindful of spin.
- Have pride in who we are.
- Represent the passion for this business rigorously.
- Honor that this is what I love.
- Invest in, instead of giving up your energy
- Pursue personal, business and worldly growth at all costs, with everything you’ve got.
- Always, always sweep your side of the street.
- Travel to every corner of the world to improve who you are.
- Rest when you’re tired, then get back up and keep moving.
- Be in the best of health.
- Do whatever it takes to ignite continued passion.
- Continue to perfect systems.
- Be rigorously honest.
- Be direct.
- Secure your position in this industry.
- Don’t ever give up.
- Surround yourself with vibrant, alive, fun, successful people.
- Show everyone how to be millionaires.
- Find ways to honor and multiply everyone’s strengths and dreams
- Don’t stay stuck.
- Get over the past.
- Deeply listen everyday.
- Breathe deeply
- Change your mind, be proud of it.
- Honor your mood, good and bad
- Allow words to express your emotions
- Honor privacy
- Make money and be proud of it.
- Take time off.
- Don’t justify your position all the time.
- Love what you do.
- Honor that you already are kind and sincere
- Honor that you’re excellent at what you do
- Honor that you love to give
- Honor that you’re passionate
- Honor that you love growth
- Honor the mistakes, and look forward to future ones.
- Some things are just life
- Things will be better
- Things will be worse
Tyler’s Related thoughts on spirit at work:
Other thoughts from around the world:
and check out the bible of books on building something amazing: